Plan ahead your renovation
When you think about your future house do you find yourself worrying? Are you wondering: How big will the new house be? How much will it cost? How long will it take? Here is a simple answer:
Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning.
- Out of ten how clear are you on exactly what you need?
- Out of ten how aware are you of all the various options your site will accommodate?
- Out of ten how confident are you that you are aware of all the legal requirements?
- Out of ten how aware are you of the process you will need to have in place to get the project completed on time and on budget?
- Out of ten how confident are you that you that your budget will achieve your needs?
Don’t worry of you don’t score 10 out of 10 in every question. There is a way to fill in the gaps – Needs and Options Review.
It is the most important step that provides foundational thinking for everything else that gets built upon it. The valuable insights you gain from this first phase can be used by myself or any other designer and will ultimately produce a better result for you.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where −” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.
― Lewis Caroll, Alice in Wonderland
What is Needs and Options Review?
The Needs & Options Review is not a concept design yet and will not give you a final quote for the construction work. Here is what the Review will give you:
- Clear picture of your ideas and wishes – so you know what you and everyone involved want
- Analysis of options for practicality and feasibility – so you can decide how you want it done and don’t get lost in the dark
- Realistic ball-park investment required – so that you know what the budget allows and avoid disappointment
Needs and Options Review is only $795.
Compare it to thousands that you will spend if you do design straight away – without knowing your options.
People who avoid this step planning renovation put themselves at risk of budget overruns and long delays.
What does the Review give?
We will meet at your place to assess site conditions and have a talk about your project. I will ask you to fill in a detailed questionnaire to record what you want and need. It will create the basis for discussion of the scope of work. Then I will research the planning requirements and I will come for a meeting again to present the analysis and your options. This is what I will present to you:
- Your design brief in detail.
- Potential issues there may be with the site, project brief or council controls based on my research of the codes and how these issues might affect your design and approval options.
- Steps required for your job to progress.
- We will also discuss how many revisions you would like to be covered for.
- An overview of associated fees and services required for the successful completion of the project (consultants, Council fees, certification etc).
After the meeting you will be able to decide how you want to proceed and I will prepare a fee proposal to complete the whole project to your specifications, based on your needs, your criteria and your dreams.
Don’t be like Alice
Ultimately, a review of your needs and options will be the most prudent step to take:
- It will provide you valuable information about the avenues your project can follow so that there are no surprises along the way.
- You will be able to make an informed decision on how you want to proceed so you feel in control of it.
- It will also mean that you will not have to commit to a large amount without knowing your options first but it will give you peace of mind.
If you have any question about the Needs and Options Review call 0407 174 434.